All North Township Dial-A-Ride vehicles are accessible to persons with disabilities, each equipped with a standard wheelchair lift device. It is important that certain procedures be followed to insure that the rider is safely boarded upon the vehicle and that the equipment is used properly.
- When arriving at the pick-up address make sure the wheelchair access doors are properly aligned with either a sidewalk or appropriate flat surface.
- Engage the four (4) way flashers and the rear upper safety flashing lights.
- Engage the vehicle emergency brake by depressing the foot- peddle.
- Activate the wheelchair lift switch on the dash of those vehicles that have such a device.
- Open the passenger doors.
- Carefully step out of the bus, watch in both directions for oncoming traffic.
- Walk around to the wheelchair lift access doors and open carefully.
- Remove the lift operations control from its securement holder and unfold the lift.
- Lower the lift to ground level, make sure the end of the ramp unfolds flat to enable a smooth and easy access to the ramp.
- Ask the rider which he prefers, to board either backwards or forwards and load onto ramp accordingly.
- Engage lift and raise till level with bus floor.
- Bring the rider into the bus and position the wheelchair so that the securement devices can be properly engaged.
- Secure all four corners of the chair and attach the lap/shoulder belt (see wheelchair securement policy for various situations or mobility devices)
- Exit the bus and fold the lift, secure the lift control and both access doors.
- Disengage dash lift switch (if provided) and disengage emergency brake.
- Look into side and rearview mirrors for traffic, when clear, pull out into traffic lane
- Disengage flashing lights and 4-way lights once underway
- Proceed to destination and repeat process. The wheelchair lift is available, upon request, to assist any and all riders, regardless of their physical condition.
Download procedure statement in PDF format.