In the event that a rider has a Title VI complaint against the Dial-A–Ride staff, the following procedure is to be followed.
- The initial complaint, whether verbal, written, or in electronic format, should be directed to the Transportation Department Director, within 10 working days. The complaint can be filed in one of the following ways:
The complaint form, located in clearly marked bins on all township buses or downloaded here, must be filled out and mailed to:
North Township Trustees Office
Attention: Jerry Siska/Dial-A-Ride
5947 Hohman Avenue
Hammond, Indiana 46320
Complaint forms are also available during regular business hours at the township offices in Hammond and East Chicago.
Verbal complaints will be accepted and transcribed by the Transportation Department. To make a verbal complaint, call (219) 932-2530, ext. 342.
- Within 10 working days of receipt of the formal complaint, the Transportation Director will notify the complainant and begin an investigation.
- The investigation will be conducted and completed within 60 days of the receipt of the formal complaint.
- If the rider is not satisfied with the resolution, an appeal can be directed to the North Township Chief Deputy within 10 working days.
- If the rider is still not satisfied with the resolution, a final appeal to the North Township Trustee will be provided.
The attorney representing the Township can be brought into the negotiations for final resolution of the complaint at any time during the process. All complaints and resolutions are to be documented in writing.
The complainant also has the right to file a complaint with an external entity such as the Department of Transportation (DOT), a federal or state agency, or a federal or state court.
Download policy statement in PDF format.